March 24, 2009

Bran Flax Muffins

Just let me say that these are a lot tastier than they sound!

These are easy, very child-friendly, and because there are so many ingredients to add to the bowl, they're fun to make with kids. Because of the raisins, apples and nuts, C loves them! An added bonus for me is that they're so healthy, giving her a lot of fiber and even some veggies! The recipe is pretty versatile and you can substitute or throw in extra fruits and veggies. I always use more raisins than the recipe calls for. I've also tried adding grated pear and cranberries, and I imagine a bit of grated sweet potato would be tasty too. Enjoy!

Bran Flax Muffins

1 ½ cups white or unbleached flour (can use part whole wheat)
¾ cup flax seed meal (just grind flax seed in your blender if you don't have it on hand)
¾ cup oat bran
½ cup brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
½ cup shredded carrots
2 shredded apples
½ cup raisins
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
¾ cup milk (or buttermilk, or yogurt)
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
  1. Mix dry ingredients. Stir in carrots, apples, raisins and nuts.
  2. Combine milk, beaten eggs and vanilla; pour into dry ingredients and stir until moistened.
  3. Fill muffin cups ¾ full.
  4. Bake at 350 F for 15-20 minutes. Makes 15 medium muffins.

2 comments:

becky said...

I'm so looking forward to reading this blog! Thanks for the recipe. Emma loves baking with me, too.

Hey, have you checked out the "Deceptively Delicious" cookbook? It has recipes with lots of pureed veggies in it -- like pancakes with sweet potatoes! I found a copy of it on sale, and hope to try some of the recipes soon.

Take care! and my best to Miss C.

Kirsten said...

Hey Becky, nice to see you. :) I check your Little Grrrl's blog every now and then to see how Emma is growing. Love the "teenager" picture, by the way! lol

I recently picked up Deceptively Delicious but haven't tried anything from it yet. Let me know if you find any winners!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
design by suckmylolly.com