April 2, 2009

Felt board

C and I played with a felt board for the first time yesterday. I made it for her about a month ago, and finally took it out. She liked looking at the shapes and asking me to make things, but she wasn't really into creating scenes on the board herself. She took a liking to two brown felt circles, and wouldn't let them out of her sight! She also liked emptying and filling up the bag I had put the shapes in!


Later, I labeled an empty chocolate box to put the felt shapes in. C loves that the box is gold! It was super easy to make the felt board by stretching a large piece of felt over an inexpensive art canvas and stapling it to the wood frame on the back (I think I may have gotten the canvas idea from Chasing Cheerios, but I can't find the post to link to). I've seen a lot of websites with felt board templates and I think I'll check out a few of those soon, so we can create our own stories - we mostly have a bunch of basic shapes right now.

6 comments:

Sab said...

My mom did that to the back of our dressers as my bro and I shared a room for a few years. So, as a room divider we had our dressers, and on the backs of them (so we each had a play area) was the felt stretched and stapled on the back. Mom made a pouch on each and had all sorts of paper Bible characters with that sort of glue stuff on the backs of them. It was great! We had hours of fun!

' said...

My daughter wasn't so into the pieces either. but I left them down at her reach. I went through several days of just having to pick up pieces spread around... but soon she was putting them together and making some great things (we have mostly shapes too). I sometimes take pictures of her designs and they inspire many of the things I do :) I give her credit though :) She's brilliant!

I also wanted to thank you for leaving a comment for my son. You don't know how much it means to him.

Kirsten said...

Sab > that sounds so neat! Unfortunately we don't have the space to hang our felt board, so I just made a portable one.


Kayce & Robbie > Good to know there's hope that C will become more interested! And you're very welcome re: the comment. I think it's really cool that he's interested in writing at such a young age. And we all love comments, don't we? ;)

Scatteredmom said...

What a great idea! I guess eventually you could do letters, too. :) And since it's portable I suppose you could travel with it too.

Hey thanks for coming by and wishing me a Happy Birthday. :) I'm home sick from work today and it was a nice surprise. Have a great weekend!

LiEr said...

Hello! Howw nice to have you visit, and even nicer to come here and see the fun things you're doing with your little one. That little critter clothespeg is so cute! But I also wanted to share that the felt board is going to be used more and more as C gets older. My 4 year old uses it a lot and my 2 year old often fights her for it. The one year old just eats the felt shapes so she's banned. But the 2-yr old really likes people shapes, oddly. Am going to try letters next and have her match upper and lower case by colors, once I get the laundry done, that is. Groan. Hope the potatoes turn out well for you!

SkylarKD said...

Great to know that she'll probably like it more as she gets older! I'm going to make some people and animal shapes to go with it, to supplement the geometric shapes we have now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
design by suckmylolly.com