April 20, 2009

Earth Day Recycling Game for Kids



Here's a little recycling game I put together as one of our Earth Day activities. To recreate this you will need:
  • Recycling bin or a box with a recycling symbol taped on it
  • Garbage can
  • Various types of clean, dry garbage and recyclables
  • Recycling symbols
I put a recycling symbol (or two) on every item that is recyclable in my area, and left the garbage as-is. The idea of the game is for your child to check the item for a recycling symbol, and place it in the appropriate container.

I used stickers to make it easier for C to find the recycling symbol, but older children may be able to find the symbol right on the packaging.



Here are a couple of books to help reinforce the concept. Of course, the best way to teach is by example, so ask your kids to help you put things in your recycling, garbage and compost bins on a daily basis!

2 comments:

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

This is great! Emily learned to recycle at a very early age, and it's a fabulous life-long habit. We started by having her sort just the paper stuff (cardboard or paper). Then worked up to other things.

Valerie
www.frugalfamilyfunblog.com

Kathleen W. said...

What a great idea! I'm shelving this in my brain to use when my little guy gets older.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
design by suckmylolly.com